Monday, January 5, 2009

Toronto Part 3: The Food

Let's get down to the important business: what we ate in Toronto.

Toronto is a very multicultural city. Because of that, it's full of little, unique restaurants. One night, we ate at a beautiful Italian restaurant across from our hotel. It was very small and I can't even remember the name, but the food was absolutely delicious. You know you're in for a treat when they take such care with the free bread that is served before you get your order.

On our first night, Brad picked up a brochure in the lobby for a Spanish tapas restaurant with flamenco dancers called Embrujo Flamenco. I was concerned that it would be overpriced and cheesy, like a bad Mexican restaurant, but my fears were completely unfounded. It was another storefront style place with wonderful ambiance. We had three tapas (Spanish appetizers, basically) a spinach salad with pine nuts, raisins, apples and a warm dressing, chorizo (Spanish sausage) and cheese in a puff pastry, and bacon wrapped dates. Oh my goodness, the dates were delicious, like candy. We had plenty of dates in Qatar, but never wrapped in bacon, of course. I don't think I would be exaggerating too much to say my life will never be the same. The main course was paella, minus the shrimps, mussels, and other yucky stuff. (I'm sure Brad was wishing he had married a less picky eater when we ordered that.) Towards the end of our dinner, the dancer came out. She was accompanied by a man playing guitar, and it was gorgeous, not even a hint of that cheesy, fake stuff I was afraid we would see.

Speaking of authentic food, one of our favorite meals was at a hole in the wall restaurant in China town. I wish I had pictures. I wish I had a video of Brad ordering his chicken noodle soup. I wish I had a video of Brad trying to eat his serving bowl sized chicken noodle soup. I'm sure what you're picturing in your minds now is almost as funny. Unfortunately, authentic Chinese food, while very tasty, didn't really satisfy my cravings. Panda Express, make sure you've got plenty of Crab Rangoon on hand, I'm on my way!

No comments: