Saturday, January 24, 2009

Moving on

We signed the lease yesterday, and they're delivering our stuff today. :)

On a completely different note, one of my college roommates, Lisa, wrote this poignant blog post recently and it has me thinking.

First, some background, out of 4 roommates, 2 of us have had twins, and the third, Lisa, is pregnant with twins. The fourth roommate is pregnant with her second child who will be born on her first child's birthday. Okay, now that that crazy coincidence is explained, on to the important stuff: my musings.

Lisa wrote beautifully on the subject of waiting, in regards especially to her pregnancy, which prompted me to comment to her not to wish her pregnancy away.

When I was pregnant with the twins, I honestly enjoyed being pregnant. It was the first time in my life that I was big for a good reason, and I felt beautiful. But, there is the inevitable impatience. I wanted to see my babies, to hold them, and love on them. Then, when the twins were born at 37 weeks and spent their first 8 days in the hospital, I felt an overwhelming guilt for wanting them to come early. If only I had been able to carry them a little longer...

As those feelings faded, but not completely, I moved on to other smaller milestones. I can't wait until they eat solids, I can't wait until they're crawling, I can't wait until they're walking, I can't wait until they're talking, I can't wait. Then, one day, I looked around and saw that I had wished their first two years away, and I'm still saying things like I can't wait until we can have real conversations, I can't wait until their potty trained, and I can't wait until they go to preschool.

The truth is, I can wait, because it's going to happen whether or not I'm wishing it. I'm sure I'll have to make this resolution over and over, daily even, but today I am resolving again to enjoy the twins right now, where they are.

1 comment:

Hewittfolks said...

Well said, yourself! I didn't realize you guys were already in Alaska. I guess I knew it was going to be in January, but it still seemed to happen really fast. Do you know how long you'll be there? I can't remember if you've said.