Thursday, January 21, 2010

God's in charge and I'm not

I always try to put myself in Rebekah's place. Can you imagine? You're taking your daily trip to the well to gather water for your family when you meet a stranger who says he's going to take you back to his master to get married. Cultural differences aside, I don't think that was part of her plan for the day, let alone her life.

After I read that this morning, I started singing "God is in Control." My best friend, Angela, and I sang it together at a church talent competition once and it's always been a favorite of mine, because it reminds me her.

But today I realized the irony of it. Right now, Angela and her family are in Texas, beginning again after a long time of uncertainty in their lives. And you all know the twists and turns my life has taken over the past several years.

I had to laugh thinking about what my teenager self would have said to someone who predicted what my life would look like in 10-15 years: married to Brad Herzog, moving all over the place (or just moving anywhere outside of the midwest!), twins!

All I can say is, I'm glad God's in charge and I'm not.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

1 comment:

Angela Skelton said...

Ahh...that is so funny. I was just thinking the other day about Rebekah as well and though to myself. She is crazy! but to have that kind of faith Wow!
I miss you friend a whole lot and think about you often. I love our friendship and all the crazy turns it has taken over the years. Love you!