Saturday, February 16, 2008

On my soap box

This is the laundry detergent that I use here in Doha. It has the ever-important frontload emblem on the front, which lets me know that it won't cause my washer/dryer to leak into the electrical panel thereby shorting the circuits in half the apartment. I know this from experience, but that's another story. Take a look at the slogan. "Dirt is Good." I'm inclined to believe, as I'm sure is the dirty little soccer players mother, that dirt is, in fact, bad, especially when it comes to clothes. Now, this particular brand of detergent is made in the United Arab Emerites, so one could assume that the original slogan was written in Arabic. I, for one, would like to believe that their advertising executives were not so silly as to advertise for the "enemy," but that the translation is a little off. As everyone knows, words in foreign languages don't always correspond to their length in English, so I like to think that the slogan on the Arabic side of the box reads this way: "Dirt gets your clothes dirty. Then you have to use our product, which means that we make money. Dirt is good."

No comments: