Monday, June 7, 2010

This book is amazing

I'm halfway through the book Gospel-Powered Parenting, and it is seriously messing with me, and I mean that in the best way possible. This is what I've gotten out of it so far:

1. We don't need to keep our kids away from the world so much as we need to live in such a way that the gospel (Jesus) is more attractive to them than the world.

2. Making the gospel attractive will include some serious soul-searching/confessing to find the hypocrisies in me that my children will undoubtedly see even when I am blinded to them by my pride.

3. The Bible doesn't have many direct verses about parenthood because living the gospel should lead to good parenting.

4. Good parenting begins with a healthy fear of God. If we don't understand/acknowledge God's justice, why would we need a savior? And why would our children need a savior?

5. The goal of a Christian parent shouldn't be making perfect, well-behaved model citizens. Instead, the goal of a Christian parent should be seeing their children become born again believers.

There is so much more, and I've just started reading the practical half of the book. I'll probably talk about it again, but for now, for those of you who appreciate a little visual, here you go:

PS I got absolutely nothing out of this one. I bought the book for myself and just felt like I needed to share it with you all.

No comments: