Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sometimes He keeps us from falling

The parking lot is across a busy street from the post office. I had given Nicky the job of carrying the box that we were mailing to Grandma for her birthday. Since his hands were full, I grabbed his hood to keep him close. We waited for the signal to cross the street, then halfway across, the box slipped from Nick's hands. I let go of Catie to grab the box and, in the process, knocked Nicky off balance. I was still holding his hood, and instinctively, I pulled it up, keeping him from falling, but choking him a little. We collected ourselves and hurried across to the sidewalk where I stopped and gave him a once over to make sure he wasn't hurt.

As I was driving home, I thought about the sight we must have made, and how I often keep my kids from falling by lifting them up by the hand. I began to get a picture of how God sometimes works in our lives. Yes, sometimes He allows us to fall, but sometimes in His grace and mercy, He lifts us up so that we don't stumble and fall down.

About a month ago I was given the opportunity to do something good and I dove right in. When it came time to decide how it would be done, though, I couldn't get excited about it. I went into a funk for a few days, crying at the drop of a hat, and with no peace about this project. After talking it over with a trusted friend, I was able to back out graciously. I'm not sure why, but I feel like God took me by the hand and said, "This isn't for you," and He lifted me up and over what might have been a stumbling block.

Just like Catie and Nick sometimes, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I am so thankful for a loving Father who is watching over my steps.

I guide you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.
When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.

Proverbs 4:11-12

No comments: