Monday, March 23, 2009

Potty Learning

It seems like I've been doing an inordinate amount of worrying about potty training, oh excuse me, I meant potty learning. I've read all kinds of articles, watched a program on PBS, and talked to everyone who's willing to listen. What I have not done, however, is trained my kids. I mean, learned them, or taught them, or whatever.

I've been waiting for the "perfect week" so that I could stay home and really focus on the potty. I was convinced that I was the one who was dragging my feet and that Catie, at least, was really ready.

Today's the week, or it was until I made plans to meet with a quilter tomorrow and set up a playdate for Wednesday. I decided that I didn't have to cancel my "Week of Potty Training." One day would be enough to tell me if I needed to continue. Well, one day was enough, one morning, to be exact. I asked Catie about 5 times in the course of 3 hours if she wanted to go potty and each time she said no. I even tried to get Nicky into the act, thinking that if he sat on the potty, she would too. Actually, it worked, but she only sat for 3.6 seconds and declared she was "all done." No potties. Nicky, on the other hand, had no trouble filling the potty--with the lint from between his toes. Where did he get that idea? I have no idea...

So, we'll continue our laidback potty "learning" for another couple weeks and try again.

1 comment:

Angela Skelton said...

Never fear Erica, Erin is almost 3 and a half and she is now potty trained. The good news is that it only took one full day. By the fourth day she no longer needed the reward for going she just told me when she had to go. My advice is every kid is different and you'll find what works for catie when she is ready. He he...I realize that isn't very good advice but you have time.