Wednesday, July 2, 2008

One of Those Days

It started last night. We hired a babysitter and went out for Moroccan at the Grand Regency Hotel. I've never had Moroccan food before, and I have to say that it was mostly delicious. First, they brought out bread (which was suspiciously exactly like an uncut, un-toasted English muffin) and a spicy relish. I decided to go for the set menu since I had no idea what to order. Holy moley, it was a lot of food. First, there was a bowl of the most delicious soup. It was a cream of vegetable soup. It reminded me a lot of asparagus soup, which I love. Then, I had an array of salads. And I mean salads in the Arabian sense. I didn't bother trying the cold lamb livers; I'm not that adventurous. However, the cucumber salad was delicious. There was also an eggplant mash thingy, a salsa-like tomato salad, and something else I don't remember, all on little plates with tiny spoons. After that, I got my main course, served in the traditional Moroccan dish. It was roasted lamb. I wasn't a big fan of the spices. Finally, the meal ended with some yummy ice cream and fruit and traditional mint tea.

Okay, now back to my point. The babysitter put the twins to bed while we were gone; that becomes important in a minute.

Every once in a while, I go through a few days or a week where it's difficult for me to fall asleep. I didn't fall asleep until 12:30 last night. So, you can imagine my thoughts when I heard Nicky crying at 5:11 this morning. I went into the room because he wasn't showing any signs of stopping, and tried to put a pacifier in his mouth, but he already had one, and guess who was standing in her crib jabbering away? Ugh. There was no way I was going to be able to go back to bed. (I think they were excited to see me since I wasn't there to put them to bed last night.) So, I got the twins out of bed and followed them bleary-eyed into the living room, where I dumped some Corn Pops on the coffee table, got their milk cups out of the fridge, and let them fend for themselves while I zoned out on the couch. Before you get offended by the fact that I just implied that I ignored my kids, understand that it is impossible to ignore twin almost 2 year-olds for very long.

Around 7, they started acting tired, so I put them back to bed. After taking my shower, reading a little, doing a few things around the house, and playing on the computer, I was shocked to realize that it was almost 11 am and they were still sleeping. I fixed a good lunch, full of their favorite foods (PB&J, bananas, carrots, crackers) since they hadn't really eaten breakfast, and got them out of bed. They played nicely after lunch, until about 2, when I decided to try putting them down for their nap, because I knew they wouldn't make it until bedtime unless they slept in the afternoon. They fell right to sleep and slept until 4:30. I'm always amazed at their need for sleep. Sometimes I think it's a little excessive, but they've been growing like weeds lately.

When Brad came home from work, one of the kids brought him a diaper. Brad asked me if I had left a dirty diaper out (again :) ), but I was sure that I hadn't. I thought maybe the babysitter had. But why didn't I see it all day if it had been sitting out? At least an hour later, Brad noticed that Nicky's pants were wet, so I laid him down on the carpet, unsnapped his pants, and was incredibly surprised to see NO DIAPER! We have a Houdini child here. How did he get his diaper off and out of his clothes (a one-piece romper) with it still snapped up? We may never know.

It's been one of those days. Here's hoping I can go to sleep and when I wake up my life will be back to normal.

1 comment:

Uncle Andy said...

I don't remember all the details, but I think we both pulled stunts like that when we were kids. Mom, can you fill in the details?